From: "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)" <shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SUBSYS DD REVISITED
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:57:46 -0500

In <20151114.112844.57...@webmail03.dca.untd.com>, on 11/14/2015
   at 04:28 PM, "esst...@juno.com" <esst...@juno.com> said:

>Recently a question was posted regarding SubSystem Datasets, more
>appropriatly the use of a SUBSYS= parameter on a DD statement.
>//DD1 DD SUBSYS=(ssn,'parms').

There's a sample subsystem on the CBT tape.

>However neither technology provides a PUT/WRITE function/exit.

If you OPEN a DCB with a ddname allocated to a subsystem data set then
OPEN loads a compatibility interface and opens an ACB under the
covers. The subsystem sees only the ACB/RPL interface, not the DCB.

>Each I/O from an application with the appropriate SUBSYS statement
>should be directed to my SubSystem Address Space.

A subsystem does not require a separate address space.