(With a belated admonition to the OP to select a meaningful subject.
My experience is that any subject containing the word "question"
is suspect.  Don't say, "I have a question."  Simply ask your question.)

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 16:48:23 +0100, Peter Hunkeler wrote:

>I'm curious to understand whay you want to run this rexx as a shell script as
>oposed to a simple batch tso step.
>
>I don't see the benefit, only drawbacks

It can be a matter of familiarity; the same trait that impels users with other
backgrounds to invoke UNIX services with BPXBATCH in cases where there
is no visible benefit, only drawbacks.

RECEIVE is extraordinarily ill-suited to automation:
o The user has no a priori control over which spool file will be RECEIVEd.
o The user must be present to reply to a prompt.

VM/CMS does somewhat better:
o CMS has the RDRLIST utility, similar to SDSF.
o Within RDRLIST, the user can issue a line command:
      RECEIVE / (options)  # "/" denotes the spool ID of the current line.
o Or, from the command line (like READY prompt):
      RECEIVE spoolID (options)
  Options may include:
  - target file ID
  - REPLACE/NOREPLACE, etc
  (Much like what must be supplied to PROMPT from TSO RECEIVE.)

TSO developers (are there any such?) would do well to learn from CMS.
How about:
      RECEIVE [JOB(jobID[.dsid])] [REPLY('reply-string')]

-- gil