On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:58:01 -0700, Lizette Koehler wrote:

>Gil,
>You can use the symbols for DATE and HOUR and so forth.  I think it is
>documented  z/OS 2.1.0>z/OS MVS>z/OS MVS Initialization and Tuning
>Reference>Overview>Sharing parmlib definitions>What are system
>symbols?>Dynamic system symbols
>
>https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ieae200/dynpsm.htm
>

>New symbol     Old symbol
>&YYMMDD        &DATE
>&LYYMMDD       &LDATE
>&HHMMSS        &TIME
>&LHHMMSS       &LTIME

Hmmm...  I think that's new in 2.1.  I haven't tried it.

o If two jobs are submitted close in time, is there a possibility of DSN
conflict?
  I believe GDG would eliminate this.

o IBM contributors have acknowledged here that there's a timing window:
  if &YYMMDD and &HHMMSS are referenced close to midnight (who'd ever
  schedule a job for midnight!?) a 23 hour 59 minute error might result if
  the date changes between the two references.

  Why doesn't IBM fix that?  Rexx does it right.  JCL developers should read
  the Rexx manual to see how.

-- gil