The Generation data set is in a deferred roll-in status when it is allocated.
It becomes part of the rolled in generations during the deallocation phase.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tom Marchant
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:47 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Fastest way to read OLDEST GDG entry

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 15:59:37 +0000, J O Skip Robinson wrote:

>I haven't experimented with this, but going with NOSCRATCH is likely to
>cause big problems with DASD GDGs. A data set residing on an
>SMS-managed volume must be cataloged.

It has been a long time since I looked at this, but what I remember is that
GDGs were a special case. For one thing, with SMS, a data set is cataloged at
allocation time, not at step end like it was before.

One consequence of that is that is that a generation may be scratched as soon
as the new one is allocated, rather than wait until the step ends successfully.

Consider a new GDG created with NEW,CATLG,DELETE. Before SMS, the old
generation was scratched at the time the new one is cataloged at the end of the
step, when the new one is cataloged.

As a result, the idea of a generation being rolled in and rolled out was
created. The data set is cataloged, but is not cataloged as part of the GDG.

--
Tom Marchant