Cannaerts, Jan wrote:

>>The problem is there is a lot of non-mainframe talents willing to work for
>>peanuts.  Of course there is no single (common) definition of "peanuts" or
>>"talent".

>New mainframe talent requires training before they can be somewhat productive
>in a decently set up shop[1]. This too costs money. So you work for peanuts
>because you can't be productive (yet), and because you cost your company a lot
>of money in
training.

Agreed. Training companies are dying out like flies because of costs and
companies are to cheap. Catch 22 - You want / need training, but companies need
solid proven experience.

Ok, above is a generalisation, but you get the general picture. You're lucky if
you can get a good mentor/supervisor.

And there are no, AFAIK, self paced training software like those Phoenix system
[1] where I learned a lot of things. You could try out commands during the
training. Of course those commands are not executed 'in the wild', but analysed
to guide the trainee.

>Companies are used to this not so new development in IT, that you can learn to
>use the newest fad in under a week, which will then be irrelevant 5 years
>later.

If you can stay at the front and teach yourself all those fads, headhunters
will love you.

>In a non-perfectly set up shop you can work on improving very basic things
>that don't require deep understanding of the systems you're working on. So you
>can be productive earlier. I believe this is the best place for new people to
>learn.

Agreed. This is another reason why there is a thing called 'sandbox'. ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

[1] - I was also an administrator of that system in those years. Lots of people
got useful training and could be productive in a month or so.