Here is the deal. Here is why the ABO. I am going to do this without reference
to materials, and some of the details are NDA anyway, but let me give this a
very general shot.

For years IBM was able to sell new boxes by saying "Mr. CIO, your batch window
is shrinking? No problem, buy our new mainframe and all your COBOL will run 30%
faster." (Gross oversimplification, but bear with me.) Now CMOS is no longer
getting any faster. Not Z CMOS, not Intel CMOS. Barring an outside the box
breakthrough that is not expected, CMOS is not going to get 30% faster. Look
back at the mainframe model performance numbers. Each box is 30 to 100% faster
than the one that came before ... until roughly the z12. They aren't getting
significantly faster anymore. So you can't sell mainframes with "your COBOL
will automatically run faster."

Now, in a sense, mainframes ARE getting faster. More cache. Higher real memory
limits and for Z, dramatically lowered memory prices. That processor
multi-threading thing. But especially, new instructions that are inherently
faster than the old way of doing things. Load and store on condition are the
i-cache's dream instructions! Lots and lots of new "faster way to do things"
instructions on the z12 and z13.

But in order to take advantage of those new instructions, two things have to
happen: (a.) IBM had to release a dramatically improved COBOL compiler (they
did) and (b.) Mr. CIO has to recompile everything. But Mr. CIO has either lost
the source code, or does not know if his source code corresponds to his
production loadlibs, or Mr. CIO has laid off all the programmers and there is
no one to re-compile and re-test.

Enter the ABO ...

Charles