Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowl...@kev009.com> writes:
> I'm shortly going to be the new owner of a z800 at home.  Looking
> forward to booting and playing with this bistro, what kind of disk array
> do I need?  Is fibre channel storage enough, or is FICON extra special
> at the protocol level?  Is there any way to network boot/emulate storage
> or will I be looking for FICON arrays next?

there are two issues ... one is the FICON protoool running over
fibre-channel standard ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#ficon

and controller emulation of CKD on industry standard fixed-block disks
(there haven't been any real CKD manufactured for decades).
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#dasd

there have been various past discussions about IBM charging/justifying a
significant $$/mbyte premium for that emulation

trivia

Build Your Own Fibre Channel SAN For Less Than $1000 - Part 1
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-howto/31485-build-your-own-fibre-channel-san-for-less-than-1000-part-1