On 1/6/2016 6:04 PM, Tom Marchant wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 19:01:15 -0500, Tony Harminc wrote:

And this all started with arbitrary (GOFF) files as input to SMP/E,
which has, AFAIK, no delimiter option on e.g. the ++MOD statement. JCL
isn't the only thing with this problem. A single GOFF file could
plausibly contain records starting with ++ and // and /* .
Even if that were true, I fail to see what the fuss is all about. Why would
anyone
want to go to the trouble of wrapping JCL around such a file such that it would
be
read as in-stream data? Why not code the reference to the data set?

I have been in this exact situation. IIRC, it was a z/VM guest with no network connections. (Users were DIALing in.) We tried to send a large amount of binary data in 80-column format to its RDR using the z/VM SPOOL command from another guest and kept running into delimiter issues reading in the job. We randomly tried every possibility we could think of and none of them worked. Eventually, we created a checklist and systematically used an editor FIND function to locate a working combination. A real PITA and many hours wasted...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc