To expand on that thought a bit:

- You can name the usercatalog using the volume name.

- You can use SYMBOLICRELATE on DEFINE ALIAS to point to the catalog thusly named in the master catalog on the production system.

- If you have more than one volume in your target volume set, you can derive system symbols for the other volumes from the system-provided &SYSR1 symbol, given that you name them in a way that makes the volume names derivable (such as ZOSR1, ZOSR2, etc.).

- You can put the SMP/E CSI data set on the sysres, too, and catalog it in the same catalog. This has four benefits. First, you have the inventory matching the data sets on the same volume, so they stay in sync. Second, you can get information from the zones that match the data sets any time without worrying about selecting the "right" zones to match the system's level. Third, z/OSMF's Software Management needs the zones for reporting to help answer questions like "where do I NOT have this fix" and "when do I lose support for the products I have deployed"? Fourth, you can at need clone and install service to the production level of software without the need to have any other system available. (If you worry about updating production data sets by accident, use ZONEEDIT to point all the DDDEFs into Never-Never Land.)

Also, you can use a similar technique for subsystem (e.g., DB2) data sets, except that you will need to change the symbols yourself because the system will not build them for you. Since you can use SETLOAD IEASYM and IEASYMU2 to update the active symbols on z/OS V2.1 and up, you can even dynamically switch back and forth at need.

van der Grijn, Bart , B wrote:
Hi James,

We clone our sysres (maintained in sandbox) every month to generate IPL volumes
for the Dev and Prod LPARs. Almost all datasets on the sysres volume are in a
user catalog on that same sysres, including the VERSION zFS. We don't have a
single zFS in the master catalog. We're 2.1 now, but have had this setup for a
number of releases, so I don't see any reason why you would need your zFS in
Master for your 1.13 systems.
<snip>
--
John Eells