I would agree that it would be great if tcsetattr(NOECHO) actually worked
under 3270 OMVS shells.

But, under a TSO OMVS 3270 shell, using HOS1130 or HOS2220, don't you get
this: ?

zos$ ssh -oPubKeyAuthentication=no 127.0.0.1
FOTS3322 Passwords may not be entered from 3270 terminals
(terminates)

But the above behavior is still a big improvement:  you can now do basic
connectivity tests and anything else as long as you don't need to prompt
for a password.  So keys work fine.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com