I've done this for a few VM installs. It's been a couple of years, but
here's what I'm pretty sure of. You have to possess (delivered or
self-created) an IPLable DVD containing the VM kernel code. You insert the
DVD into an actual directly-connected HMC and select 'Load from Media'. The
DVD reader lights up. If you've done it right, a VM instance is materializes
in memory and communicates with you via Operating System Messages. I do not
recall ever firing up the HMC's 3270 emulator. VM churns for (quite) some
time and finally gives you the opportunity to write itself out to DASD. The
configuration you define during this process includes a console device for
future IPLs.

After it's all done, you IPL the new system with a Load Profile that points
to your newly defined res vol. If everything is OK, subsequent IPLs write to
whatever 3270 device you have defined to VM. One caution: if you have
downloaded VM from the interweb, the mechanism you use to create the IPLable
DVD is crucial. I spent days (!) trying to IPL from a DVD that I created
incorrectly. You cannot simply copy all the downloaded files to a DVD. The
result looks OK on Windows, even on Unix, but the HMC will tell you that the
DVD is empty. You need an appropriate application to do the job.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson