We ran an inherited ISAM application in the 80s, a true dog. Then we learned
of a VSAM conversion aid that was at the time built in to whatever then
passed for DFSMS. It was magical. Simply convert files from ISAM to VSAM and
point the application to them. The system automatically transformed all ISAM
I/O operations to VSAM and returned data to the application as it expected.
Absolutely no changes to the application. The result was breath taking.

I'd be curious to know if that conversion aid is still delivered with z/OS.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson