tro...@gmail.com (Rick Troth) writes:
> I searched before asking, but didn't find anything close.
> Anyone know how many 3270 based ATMs are in operation?
> Anyone know where I can find tech pubs for such?

3624 designed at los gatos lab (disclaimer at one time, I had wing of
offices and labs there ... not involved in 3624, but heard stories,
at one time los gatos labs was considered one of the most scenic in
ibm ... since plowed under and now housing development)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_3624

the guy managing magstripe standards was also there
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_stripe_card#Further_developments_and_encoding_standards

when I was co-author of financial industry standard that was piloted by
nacha for ATM ... this reference gone 404 ... but lives on at wayback
machine ... pilot results entry 23July2001:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070706004855/http://internetcouncil.nacha.org/News/news.html

all the ATM network stuff was Tandem ... with special crypto hardwware.