From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Ed Jaffe
Sent: 05 February 2016 07:38
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Stand-Alone DSS RESTORE with 3584 Library - How??

On 2/4/2016 9:58 PM, Skip Robinson wrote:
> I'd like to suggest an alternative recovery strategy...
>
> Instead of standalone restore, plan to recover a system rather than a volume
> or two. You don't need to restore sysres. You should have at least two sysres
> volumes anyway that you swap between for maintenance. Would you really lose
> both of them? IPL from the alternate. What you really need is a single volume
> for critical components: master catalog, RACF, spool, PROC/PARMLIBs, whatever
> it takes to get a sysprog logged on to run actual recovery jobs. It does not
> have to be pretty, just minimally functional for a SME who knows how to put
> Humpty Dumpty back together again. That volume is always available and can be
> tested periodically to make sure it works. Just a thought.

There is no alternate sysres or existing system of any kind. (If there was, we
would use it.)

What we have is a brand new zBC12 CEC, with an unformatted DS8xxx DASD box, in
a brand new location twelve hundred miles away, with no starter or bootstrap
system of any kind. As Paul Robichaux would say, "We're starting from dirt!"

Our plan is to send a sysprog carrying a tape to the new location with SA DSS
RESTORE on file #1, a DASD volume with SA DSS RESTORE IPL text as file #2, and
enough other volumes on files #3 through #n to bring up a simple MVS system
that can then restore everything else -- including z/VM, zLinux, z/VSE, etc.

We need to test the process here to be sure it all works before anyone flies
halfway across the country to do it for real. The problem is, we can't figure
out how to mount the tape. Talk about "dirt!" :-0

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc

This e-mail message has been scanned and cleared by Google Message Security
and the UNICOM Global security systems. This message is for the named
person's use only. If you receive this message in error, please delete it
and notify the sender.