I used cat/grep/awk because I saw it used so often by people in the unix/linux team I used to work with. Maybe it was just a quirk of that group, or like our JCL where once someone codes it everyone else copies it.

Bill Woodger wrote:
Tom,
I think if you use that cat to grep to awk as an example, you'll get confusion from the
students. They'll say "why don't you just do it in awk?" or even reel off an
obscure Perl one-liner.

Using ls into grep into tail may be more realistic.