t...@tombrennansoftware.com (Tom Brennan) writes:
> Yep - I'm hoping they'll like the batch facilities in MVS which in my
> opinion are far beyond unix.  This might be a spot where a history
> lesson is needed, but I wasn't around in the early days:
>
> From what I've read, MVS started with nothing but batch jobs and later
> grew into online systems.  So TSO is just another batch job that
> happens to communicate with a terminal.  On the unix side though, it
> seems they started with online terminals first, so a batch
> (background) job was later created as a terminal session with no
> terminal.

I've pointed that out before ... CTSS was conversational online default
from the start, then some of the people went to the 5th flr and did
Multics (and folklore is that some of the Bell Labs people went back
home and did a simplified Multics, calling it unix) ... and other of the
people went to the science center on the 4th flr and did CP/40-CMS
(making hardware modifications to 360/40 to support virtual memory),
which morphs into CP/67-CMS when standard 360/67 with virtual memory
standard comes available .... precursor to VM/370-CMS (cms originally
stood for "cambridge monitor system" ... is renamed "converstational
monitor system" for vm/370). some cambridge science center posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

I've periodically mentioned Kildall working with CP/67-CMS at NPG
school, before doing CP/M, which then morphs at Seattle Computing, and
leads to ms/dos.

os/360 assumed batch ... and had to provide increasing about of
contingency handling capability ... while conversational started out
assuming responsible human was there to handle the contigency cases.

we were working with director of NSF and were suppose to get $20M to tie
together the the NSF supercomputer centers. Then congress cuts the
budget, some other things happen, and then they release an RFP ... but
internal politics prevent us bidding on the RFP (director of NSF tries
to help by writing the corporation a letter, but that just makes
internal politics worse). As regional networks tie into the centers, it
morphs into NSFNET backbone, precursor to modern internet some old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#nsfnet

We do get TCP/IP product for mainframe but there are quite a few issues
... getting 44kbytes/sec using near full 3090 processor. I do the
enhancements to support RFC1044 and in some tuning tests at Cray
Research get full sustained channel speed throughput between 4341 and a
Cray, using only a modest amount of 4341 (possibly 500 times improvement
in bytes moved per instruction executed). some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#rfc1044

Late 90s, a senior disk engineer gets a talk scheduled at annual,
world-wide, internal communication group conference, supposedly on 3174
performance ... but opens the talk with statement that the communication
group was going to be responsible for the demise of the disk
division. The issue was that the communication group had strangle hold
on datacenters with corporate strategic ownership of everything crossing
the datacenter walls, and were fiercely fighting off distributed
computing and client/server (trying to preserve their dumb terminal
paradigm and install base). The disk division was starting to see data
fleeing the datacenter to more distributed computing friendly platforms
with drop in disk sales. The disk division had come up with a number of
solutions to reverse the process, but were constantly being vetoed by
the communication group. some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#terminal

In the late 60s, increasing number of cp/67-cms customers were extending
to 7x24 availability (including some number of commercial online service
bureaus). One of the issues in the 60s mainframes were rented and
initially, it was hard to promote offshit use enough to recover system
costs. There was a lot of work done to reduce system costs (especially
offshift). Part of system rental costs were based on the system meter
that ran whenever the processor or any channel was running. All
processor and channel activity had to be quiet for at least 400ms before
system meter would stop. Special terminal CCWs were created to allow
channel to stop ... but immediately start ondemand when characters were
coming in ... some of the stuff sort of analogous being done for
on-demand cloud computing (trivia long after mainframes had converted
from rental to sales, MVS still had timer task that woke up every 400ms
... making sure that system meter never stopped).

Other stuff to further minimize offshift costs was eliminating operator
requirements. Another early CP/67 enhancement in the 60s was automatic
re-ipl after failure (system come up and available w/o needing any human
intervention). In the early 70s, as environments became more complex,
increasing amount of CP/67 services were provided by "service virtual
machines" (analogous to demons ... the current cloud virtual machines
are referring then to virtual appliances) that are not connected to any
real terminal. In the early 70s, I do the autolog command for CP/67
... which is used for a wide variety of automation ... including
automatically bringing up "service virtual machines" at an automatic
IPL (w/o human intervention).

At the IBM Pisa Science Center they implemented SPM for CP/67 ... which
allowed software running in virtual machine to handle all interactions
that would normally involve real terminal. This was used in conjunction
with service virtual machines to implement "automated operator". This
was moved to VM/370 ... but for some reason was never released to
customers. Over time, various VM/370 features were released to customers
like IUCV and SMSG ... but in aggregate they are still a subset of the
full SPM facility. A trivial example was that the author of REXX wrote a
multi-user spacewar game that relied on SPM ... and since the internal
network software supported SPM ... any number of players around the
network could play. There was a problem that some number of people
started writing player 'BOTs that would beat the human players. The game
was then enhanced so that energy use increased non-linearly as time
between moves decreased below some (human) threshold ... trying to level
the playing field between BOTs and humans.  old email about moving lots
of stuff from CP/67 to VM/370 including SPM and autolog
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#email731212
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750102
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750430

By the early to mid-70s, vm/370 automated operator facilities and
service virtual machines were getting increasingly sophisticated.

We leave IBM in the early 90s and later are brought in as consultants to
a small client/server startup that wanted to do payment transactions on
the server (the two people responsible for the "commerce server", we had
previously worked with when they were at Oracle and we were at IBM), the
startup had also invented this technology called "SSL" they wanted to
use, the result is now frequently called "electronic commerce".  I had
absolute authority on the server to payment network side ... but could
only make recommendations on the browser side. A big part of my time was
developing compensating processes to do various kinds of contingency
automation (a lot of which were decades old from mainframe environment)