A z/OS system symbol is not a shell variable.

But there is a sysvar shell command to read a system symbol.

>From "man sysvar":

  sysvar -- Display static system symbols

  Format

  sysvar var

  Description

  The sysvar command allows users to obtain substitution text for system
  variables that are defined in the IEASYMxx member of SYS1.PARMLIB or in
  the system IPL parameters. The substitution text is printed to standard
  output (stdout). This could be used to substitute system variables in
  shell variables. For example:

    system_name=$(sysvar SYSNAME)

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies