Peter,
You are right, active log is copied to archlog, but after that the actlog is "in scratch status", that mean it can be reused.
It is very similar to SMF SYS1.MANx datasets.

And yes, after succesful copy actlog -> archlog the data will be searched in archlog. Actlog is logically empty (until reuse).

Regarding buffers I think you ar wrong. Buffers are heavily used for tables, but not for log. Due to transaction integrity active log is immediately written to DASD.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland