We had a similar intermittent problem a while back. A multi-step DB2 backup
job would occasionally get a data set conflict and fail. We put into
automation (Netview SA) a response to the conflict message that would
display any enqueue on the resource: D GRS,RES=(*,dsn). We never found a
culprit. The GRS command never showed any other enqueue. We finally decided
that it must be some kind of timing glitch within the job itself, that it
was tripping on its own shoelaces. We restructured the job (don't know the
details), and the problem went away.

.
.
.