On 3/2/2016 6:19 PM, Anthony Fletcher wrote:
We are using a VTS with the virtual tapes defined as 3490s, and we are using
the recommended 'Mark TAPE Full' option. That's all well and good.
It does, however, mean that there are a lot of 'tapes' and many of those may
have a mixture of valid and no-longer-valid data sets - a call for Recycle. The
VTS is probably under configured, but that's life, and its a financial
institution so they keep everything for 7 years, and are paranoid about keeping
things so there is really too much data floating around that has to continue to
float around.

HSM can decide that it should do recycles, and if it does decide, then it will
according to its built in algrorithm.

However, we find that the algorithm makes decisions based on the WHOLE set of
volumes that it knows about. That is OK, except that if there are a lot of huge
data sets that have been migrated, and they used full tapes (and probably more
than one tape). That skews the data to a higher than the overall usage figure,
and it doesn't conclude that recycles are needed. We can of course initiate
manual recycles but working out which ones to choose is a pain. So we are
looking at writing something to automate that. We are looking at reading the
OCDS and using that to select which volumes (eg excluding the big ones) and
then issue the RECYCLE commands.

It seems that HSM ought to be able to automatically do the selection of which
volumes to do in a way  that works for us.

So the question is whether we can influence the recycle trigger point
automatically to select what to recycle? e.g. tell it to ignore the full
volumes and only assess based on the rest of the volumes or something like that.

We used to have real tapes and it didn't matter if the algorithm resulted in
few recycles, but with the VTS we need to release the space in the VTS to stay
alive.

Anthony,

The trigger is PERCENTVALID. Try a higher percentage to recycle. With a VTS, maybe go 50%. CHECKFIRST can be used if you have a lot of connected sets. You can also SELECT to limit yourself to a range of tapes. You should have enough flexibility to do what you want.

Regards,
Tom Conley