On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 17:40:48 -0800, Phil Smith <p...@voltage.com> wrote:

>Timohy Sipples wrote, re IBM using its own trademark differently in different
>contexts:
>>
>>One famous example among many is
>>Honda's CVCC™ (Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion) engine technology.
>>The 1972 Honda Civic was the first Civic model to include CVCC technology,
>>although Honda also put a CVCC engine in their 1970 N600 model. I assume
>>"Honda Civic" is trademarked, at least in certain countries, although I
>>can't confirm that immediately. It was never "CiViCC," although
>>hypothetically it could have been.
>
>“Civic” was clearly derived from CVCC...

I don't think that it is clear at all. I owned a 1973 Civic and it did not have
the CVCC engine.
I was a rather serious gearhead in those days and when the CVCC engine was
first
introduced for the Civic, I took notice. I remember it being about 1975, and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic agrees with my recollection.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVCC, the CVCC was first introduced
on the 1975
ED1 engine in the Civic. There is mention in that article that "The first
engine to be installed
with the CVCC approach for testing was the single-cylinder, 300 cc Honda EA
engine used in
the Honda N600 hatchback in January 1970." but no mention that it was ever put
into
production.

The claim that the name "Civic" derived from "CVCC" strikes me as revisionist
history. And the
notion that it could have been called CiViCC is just plain silly. companies
don't pre-announce
new technology in that way. If either of you have evidence that the name Civic"
was derived
from the name of the engine technology that was then under development, I'd
like to see it.

--
Tom Marchant