On 30/03/2016 1:39 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 11:58:06 +0800, David Crayford  wrote:
I find Slick on Solaris way slow; marginally usable on a fast LAN; unusable
via VPN.  I think it's X11 overhead; feels as if it paints the screen pixel-by-
pixel.
Yes, I remember you mentioning that before. IIRC, the same could be said
for the z/OS X11, which Slickedit dropped. It's way to easy to use SMB
or NFS and run Slickedit on Windows/Mac/Linux. I edited an 8 GB binary
file,
scrolled to the bottom. Turned hex mode on, made and edit and saved the
file in a matter of seconds. Try that in Eclipse and the lights will dim!

Which confirms my suspicion that X11 is a culprit.  But isn't Linux display
X11 driven (but Ubuntu is moving a different direction)?  How does it work
with Linux X11 client and remote X11 server?  (But why would anyone want
to try that?)

Is it doing remote rendering? That would be a killer over a VPN. IIRC, Linux is moving away from X onto a new technology based on OpenGL. X is pretty much 80s legacy these days. That should be good for Linux gaming market and it's about time it had a Window manager on par with WinAPI or Cocoa.

How do you get to its ISPF emulation?  Some of my colleages would
treasure that.
Tools->Options->Keyboard and Mouse->Emulation->ISPF

Neat!  Thanks!
Where's the command line?
TAB doesn't move to the next field; it inserts a tab in the data.
Hex shows ASCII, not EBCDIC.
I need to try what it does with UTF-8.

Press Esc to get the command line. All ISPF commands are prefixed with ispf. So "ispf-exclude all" etc, etc. TBH, I don't use the ISPF emulation but I set it up for somebody once and you can customize it, cntl-key as enter etc.

Hex will show ASCII if you're using the FTP client or SMB because they do conversion. If you have a real EBCDIC file use the Open dialog and
change the encoding to EBCDIC.

To me "full ISPF emulation" means macros in Rexx.  No?  Which Rexx?
The scripting language is the proprietary SlickC which is a hybrid of
REXX, C and Smalltalk for the OO. It has a parse instruction and
implementes most of the REXX string handling functions. Slickedit has a

IOW, macros aren't portable.  Does it have SUBmit?  I suppose one could
write a macro.

They are portable to other operating systems. I have a Slickedit multi-platform license and run the same macros on
Windows, OS X and Linux :)

command line which is why I
love it so much. You can bind any keys to commands which gives you
serious productivity as opposed to the clunky mouse.
Thanks,
gil