On 30/03/2016 8:22 PM, John McKown wrote:
Simpler, easier to use API. No need to create a file system object and
>ftok a token, you can just use a namespace with mq_open() and features that
>don't exist
>in System V such as mq_notify() spring to mind. In in nutshell it's a
>better design. Having said that the System V message queues are better than
>nothing and you
>don't have to be authorized to use them which is goodness.
​An. I see what you're getting at. It wasn't, as I had thought, that
message queues are bad because they are SYSV, but that IBM should have
implemented the POSIX version of message queues instead of the SYSV
version. ​Too much gaming on my part lately. It rots the brain.

In fact the z/OS implementation is decent. You can use select() and poll() which you can't on some other Unixes. I suppose POSIX message queues are quite new and IBM implemented the System V version because they were part of the standard at that time.