(Cross-posted to IBM-MAIN and MVS-OE.)

We have a JNI for our product. It lets a 31-bit Java application call into
our started task, which uses cross-memory services to fetch data from the
caller's address space. Our STC is 31-bit.

Now a customer wants to use it in 64-bit Java. I'd'a thunk [PUN INTENDED]
that this would Just Work, but no. And I'm told that this is a peculiarity
of z, since other platforms don't have Program Call and Started Tasks and
XMS.

It seems to me that there are two main possible solutions:

1)     A full 64-bit version of the JNI.

2)     A 64-bit "shim" that just copies the buffers to 31-bit storage and
then calls the 31-bit JNI. This obviously adds some overhead, but reduces
maintenance etc.

For either of these, the question then is, can the 64-bit part create
below-the-line copies of the data (it does know where they are, at least!)?
Obviously if so, we'd like to know how!

Anyone ever done anything like this? If not, can you suggest someone who
might have done enough Java on z to understand what we're trying to do?

Thanks,

.phsiii