On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Jake Anderson <justmainfra...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have got a product running with few Libraries who are in In different
> storage Group.To Move this Datasets to a different Storage Group. Without
> removing the datasets from Linklist and APF is it possible to accomplish ?
> Or Just Shutdown the address space, then move the dataset, then Refresh the
> LLA and start up the Address space again would be correct thing to do ?
>
> Apology if My understanding is not correct.
>
> Jake

Just to put some names on things ​I way that you have a data set, such as
SYS1.PRODUCT.LINKLIB on volume BUBBA1 in storage group SGBUBBA. You want to
move it from BUBBA1 to volume FREDDY​

​in SGFREDY. It is on the LNKLIST and APF list. ​

Bottom line: you can't _really_ do that safely. Why? Because the data sets
on the LINKLIST are OPEN and so the DEBs describing them are created. There
is not a way to really change that. But there is a way to "fake it".

1) unallocate the LINKLIST from XCF using the z/OS command: SETPROG
LNKLST,UNALLOCATE
2) stop the LLA address space: P LLA
3) rename SYS1.PRODUCT.LINKLIB to SYS1.PRODUCT.LINKLIB.DEL.LATER   !! DO
NOT DELETE THIS DATA SET YET !!
4) allocate a new SYS1.PRODUCT.LINKLIB on the proper volume (hopefully you
know how to force it)
5) copy members from SYS1.PRODUCT.LINKLIB.DEL.LATER to SYS1.PRODUCT.LINKLIB
6) do a SET PROG=nn to activate a _new_ LINKLIST concatenation.
    This can contain the same data set names, but must have a new linklist
name.
7) start LLA back up: S LLA
8) I don't remember if you need to do a: SETPROG LNKLST,ALLOCATE

After you IPL all the z/OS system which used the old version of
SYS1.PRODUCT.LINKLIB, you can delete the data set
SYS1.PRODUCT.LINKLIB.DEL.LATER . The above commands _do not_ cause any
running address spaces to use the new version of the linklist! You can do
that using the SETPROG command: SETPROG LNKLST,UPDATE,JOB=* __but__ IBM
strongly discourages this!

​The reason for all the "fiddling around" is that the DEBs built at IPL
cannot be updated to point to the new version of the data set. So if you
actually reuse the tracks where it used to exist, you can get VERY BAD
results. ​

--
"He must have a Teflon brain -- nothing sticks to it"
Phyllis Diller

Maranatha! <><
John McKown