It depends on if there are Active open dataset.

Are these files only non vsam or vsam or a mix of both?

If only non vsam then a simple uncatalog, delete noscratch, define alias,
catalog - process will work

If VSAM is involved, I think you have to use a process like DFDSS to MOVE the
vsam (DELETE and CATALOG) for them.

If you can close the files to the STC, then you do not need to stop the STC.
If not, then you will need to stop the STC

I typically use DFDSS to DUMP with DELETE, define the new ALIAS, and the
RESTORE from DFDSS DUMP.

Lizette