Hmm. Good input, thanks. Either OMVS or SSH produces the error. When run
from batch, it seems to work (I say "seems to" because I didn't run it
myself, but the job output shows it working).

I have a 2.1 system too, so I did D OMVS,L on both. They were quite
different, and the high-water mark for SHRLIBRGNSIZE was the same as the set
value on the 1.12 system, so I started by issuing a SETOMVS to the same
value as on 1.12.

It was:
                  CURRENT  HIGHWATER     SYSTEM
SHRLIBRGNSIZE    42991616   67108864   67108864

Javac still failed, and the HWM didn't go up.

So I went through the rest of the settings, one at a time, and set them up
to the 2.1 values, too. Still no joy. Logged off and back on, no change.

Any other ideas?

Current D OMVS,L now shows:
SYSTEM WIDE LIMITS:         LIMMSG=NONE
                  CURRENT  HIGHWATER     SYSTEM
                    USAGE      USAGE      LIMIT
MAXPROCSYS             50         74       1000
MAXUIDS                 6          9        400
MAXPTYS                 2         12        800
MAXMMAPAREA             0          0      40960
MAXSHAREPAGES       10394      55808   16384000
IPCMSGNIDS              0          0        500
IPCSEMNIDS              0          0        500
IPCSHMNIDS              0          1        500
IPCSHMSPAGES            0          1     262144
IPCMSGQBYTES          ---          0 2147483647
IPCMSGQMNUM           ---          0      10000
IPCSHMMPAGES          ---          0      25600
SHRLIBRGNSIZE    62914560   67108864  134000000
SHRLIBMAXPAGES          0          0       4096