Ed Jaffe wrote
>We've been able to call fairly large 31-bit programs in 64-bit mode
>Most SVC and PC-based services, such as STORAGE
>OBTAIN/RELEASE, etc. can be called with no ill effects.

I will state the obvious. "no ill effects" that are observed does not mean
that there are none, and certainly does not mean that the usage is
supported.
I surely hope that Ed is at least limiting this approach to SVC- and
PC-entered services, not branch-entered.

A service that is not documented as supporting AMODE 64 may choose to
support AMODE 64 at any time and might choose an implementation that has a
different interface than for AMODE 31 (basing its decisions on the AMODE
of the caller). That could make a call such as this fail in obscure ways
at an unexpected time. Is such an implementation all that likely? No.
Possible? Yes.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design