Thanks to everyone,
First let me say ECBDIC was not a consideration, since if I ever had to
access my home mainframe from overseas it would most likely be with my own
laptop with security of my choice, not what a hotel or cyber cafe
provides.  But using the solution I think I have found a local computer
could be used.

Tom Brennan provided a great help by pointing out the Language options in
the Windows Control Panel.  With that in mind I printed the special
characters on the US board and the Italy keyboard and then put them into
HxD (excellent HEX Editor from mh-nexus.de) and here is part of what we
get... (looks better with fixed fonts)

     00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F
0000 21 40 23 24 25 5E 26 2A 28 29 5F 2B 00 00 00 00 !@#$%^&*()_+.... US
0010 21 22 A3 24 25 26 2F 28 29 3D 3F 5E 00 00 00 00 !"£$%&/()=?^.... IT

So the moral of this story is if you want to go overseas and use special
characters, before you go, make yourself up a little spreadsheet of how the
US and whatever foreign country you are interested in assigns HEX values to
special characters.