On 5/17/2016 7:10 PM, Charles Mills wrote:
From time to time I see SMF 30 subtype 4 and 5 records with no completion
section. Kind of an oxymoron: a step or job completion record with no
completion section.

Can anyone educate me on what that would indicate? How would one "interpret"
such a record?

FWIW, I am looking at one now. Record + X'30' contains 0000022C 00080000 --
a reasonable offset and the expected length but a count of zero.

Record + X'22C' is all zeros and "unused" -- the next triplet section begins
at +X'234'.

It appears to be from an apparently normal TSO logoff.

This is V2R1 but I have seen them on multiple releases.

You're looking at a continuation record. Read about "first" and "additional" records in the introduction section for "Record Type 30 (1E) -- Common Address Space Work" in the SMF book.

Bob