[Also posted to the Linked-In "Mainframe Assembler Professionals" group at
http://linkd.in/1VjEST7 ]
I wrote a program to create a report of DASD usage by scanning the UCB
Table, then reading all the DSCBs from all the DASD Volumes for usage data
and summing by DSN. The output is essentially the same as a TSO
LMDINIT/LMDLIST sequence on each VOLSER, but runs a *lot* faster and is
*much* easier to manage. One of the items I calculate is %USED based on
DS1LSTAR as a percentage of the sum of all the extent values from all the
extents on all the allocated volumes. And for everything but PDSE, my
results are the same as LMDLIST, which I understand, since PDSEs don't use
DS1LSTAR.
Looking around the web, I see others coming up against this problem for at
least the last 10 years, but none have any proposed low-level coding
solution. There obviously *is* one, since facilities like ISPF 3.4 and
FDREPORT do it.

My best idea so far (which so far also isn't working) is to call LISTDSI...
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ikj4a3a0/4.4.2 ...
using the IRXEXEC API:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/H1981605/APPENDIX1.F.1.2
 which the manuals suggest has some usage data for PDSEs I can then use to
do the calculation.
►z/OS 2.1 and up even returns SYSUSEDPERCENT:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ikja300/ldsi.htm
Any better suggestions??
http://www.fdr.com/pdf/itsf.pdf - Innovation Data Processing has been doing
it since at least 1992!
David Staudacher
co-mgr Mainframe Assembler Professionals group