From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Staller, Allan
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 10:34 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: LARGEDS and Z11 Mode

Should do it.

I presume this will occur on the z/OS 1.13 system prior to the upgrade.

$TSPOOLDEF should present no issues.

At z/OS 1.13 you can issue $DACTIVATE, LEVEL=Z2 to "backout the upgrade. This
*IS NOT* available on z/OS 2.2.

Z11 mode has been out for such a long time that I cannot forsee any issues at
this point in time.

You *MIGHT* consider enlarging the checkpoint dataset based on  "$HASP895  --
EXPAND CHECKPOINT SIZE TO 2149 4K RECORDS.".  I can't be certain without seeing
the O/P of $DCHKPTSPACE.

HTH,

<snip>
Planning for z1.13 to 2.2 upgrade and found that we need to move to jes2
checkpoint mode Z11. We are a monplex so no MAS to be concerned about. I gather
from reading the jes2 init and tuning, Reference guide and JES2 Performance and
Availability Considerations in Redbooks the following.

Use $DACTIVATE command and resolve outstanding requirements, for me that looks
like moving to LARGEDS support.
Change SPOOLDEF, LARGEDS=ALLOWED ($T SPOOLDEF,LARGEDS=ALLOWED) Issue $ACTIVE

Did I miss any steps? thanks Matt

This would be done during a scheduled system outage so there would be no
activity.

What I can't find is how to test afterward, what problems to look for, how to
back out if necessary?

Below is the display of the jes dactivate.
$HASP895 $DACTIVATE 997
$HASP895 JES2 CHECKPOINT MODE IS CURRENTLY Z2
$HASP895 THE CURRENT CHECKPOINT:
$HASP895  -- CONTAINS 32100 BERTS AND BERT UTILIZATION IS 1
$HASP895     PERCENT.
$HASP895  -- CONTAINS 1847 4K RECORDS.
$HASP895 z11 CHECKPOINT MODE ACTIVATION WILL:
$HASP895  -- EXPAND CHECKPOINT SIZE TO 2149 4K RECORDS.
$HASP895  -- REQUIRE 0 ADDITIONAL BERTS AND UTILIZATION
$HASP895     WOULD REACH 1 PERCENT.
$HASP895 z11 ACTIVATION WILL FAIL IF ISSUED FROM THIS MEMBER.
$HASP895     THE FOLLOWING ISSUES PREVENT ACTIVATION:
$HASP895  -- LARGEDS SUPPORT MUST BE ACTIVATED.
</snip>
This email ? including attachments ? may contain confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient, do not copy, distribute or act on it.
Instead, notify the sender immediately and delete the message.