Testing was semi-successful. On one hand, QUIESCE stopped the system. Missing
heartbeat was detected by SFM and system was partitioned out. However, I was
also trying to test SAD and AutoIPL. Nothing happened in that arena, so--as I
do when all else fails--I RTFM. Found this:

"For restartable wait states, Loadwait will ignore the AutoIPL policy unless a
matching WSAT entry is found that has one or both flags on. If a bit is found
on, then the corresponding SAD or re-IPL will be performed. As of this writing,
the WSAT contains no entries matching any restartable wait state and reason
codes, so a restartable wait state request will not result in any AutoIPL
action."

Because the QUIESCE wait state (x'CCC') is restartable, AutoIPL and SAD are
ignored. I need to find another way to kill the system. Ironically we've had a
few AutoIPLs over the years, mostly (all?) involving virtual storage exhaustion
of some kind. None of them intentional.

.
.
.