I agree!   I would definitely vote for this RFE.

I believe that an RFE that I created last year does overlap or possibly
address this.
Please take a look and vote for it if you agree that we need better PDS /
PDSE support in the IBM C Library:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=80811

The z/OS C library has poor support for PDS and PDS/E.

Specifically, when using fopen() to read or write members, there are no
facilities to:

1) obtain existing user directory entry info (read and write)
2) update user directory info (write)
3) support for DISP=SHR plus ISPF Enqueue serialization

The first two of these cannot be easily worked around by user code without
completely abandoning the use of the C-library for I/O.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com