Thx again

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of CM Poncelet
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2016 2:10 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ISPF Profile basic question

Yes, it does a "rebuild" of profiles - and, yes, you could create a new profile
FOO from that.

But its main purposes are: (a) to compress existing profiles; (b) to edit them
and, in this code, also to remove IBM's profile variables whose purpose is to
save the colours etc. of IBM's panel displays.

Both PROFREAD and PROFWRIT can be executed from an interactive TSO ISPF/PDF
session.

But the renaming of the profiles (e.g. from ISRPROFN to ISRPROF) should be done
in batch (and with a 'DISP=OLD' on ISPPROF + then log off to allow the profile
rename). Otherwise, the current TSO ISPF/PDF session's copy of the profile in
VS will override the updated profile saved on DASD at logoff, and the
REXX/Clist updates to the profile on DASD will then be lost.

I would suggest you first run a PROFREAD to check your current profile
variables in "'"SYSUID'.'PROFNAME'.VARLIST'"'". Then proceed from there (e.g.
you can edit the variables in *.VARLIST).

This a rough copy of my JCL to rename profiles in batch:

'//* WARNING: MAKE SURE THAT YOUR PROFILE DATASET'S VOLSER IS          * '
'//*          SPECIFIED CORRECTLY (BELOW), BEFORE SUBMITTING THIS JOB. * '