By PTF.  Here is current maint on my system.  I didn’t create these symlinks.
However had already done this at our shop long ago (different symlinks), for
the very same reason.   Except, that I get to control when the symlinks change.

TEC1:$ cd /RSM01A/usr/lpp/java

TEC1:$ ls -al

total 96

drwxr-xr-x   6 P0SJR    OMVSGRP     8192 Jul  5 10:43 .

drwxr-xr-x  42 P0SJR    OMVSGRP     8192 Jan 26 14:35 ..

drwxr-xr-x  12 P0SJR    OMVSGRP     8192 Apr 22 04:01 J7.1

drwxr-xr-x  12 P0SJR    OMVSGRP     8192 Apr 22 04:07 J7.1_64

drwxr-xr-x  12 P0SJR    OMVSGRP     8192 Apr 28 00:44 J8.0

drwxr-xr-x  12 P0SJR    OMVSGRP     8192 Apr 28 00:46 J8.0_64

lrwxrwxrwx   1 P0SJR    OMVSGRP       28 Feb  8 10:31 current ->
/RSM02A/usr/lpp/java/J8.0_64
lrwxrwxrwx   1 P0SJR    OMVSGRP       25 Jul  5 10:43 current_31 ->
/RSM01A/usr/lpp/java/J8.0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 P0SJR    OMVSGRP       28 Jul  5 10:43 current_64 ->
/RSM01A/usr/lpp/java/J8.0_64

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
david.jou...@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717