From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of retired mainframer
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Bsam VS Qsam for VB records

Since you already posted that you have no data class active and a null SMS
configuration, it is unlikely that DFSMS has any effect on block size.  If the
data was written with QSAM, then QSAM performed the blocking (per the DCB
parameters specified on the DD statement used to identify the output dataset)
as well as constructing the RDWs and BDW.

You also posted that the problem was with the BDW and not the RDWs.  What do
you think the problem is?  How did you determine that?  Can you post the first
8 bytes of the block in question (BDW+RDW, no proprietary data)?