From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Vince Getgood
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 10:46 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: JES2 can't find customised start-up parameters

Hi all,
I've hit an issue with our one-pack rescue system that has me really puzzled.

I should say in advance that we've re-built and re-ipl'd this system many times
this year, all without issue, and apologise for any layout issues.

I re-built the one-pack today.  We use the same JCL to build our one-pack
system - this hasn't changed in months.

I have the following JES2 procedure in my SYS1.PROCLIB: -

//JES2    PROC M=JES2PARM,
//             START='WARM,NOREQ'
//IEFPROC  EXEC PGM=HASJES20,
//            PARM='&START,MEMBER=&M',
//            DPRTY=(15,15),TIME=1440,PERFORM=9
//HASPLIST DD DDNAME=IEFRDER

This hasn't changed in years, and is used on our "production" systems.

When I start JES2, I issue this command: -

S JES2,M=JES2PRSP,START=(COLD,FORMAT,NOREQ)

This hasn't changed in all the time I've been here.  Member JES2PRSP is in
SYS1.PARMLIB.

So having set the scene, onto the problem.

On Start-up, JES issues the following messages: -

 IEC130I HASPPARM DD STATEMENT MISSING
 IEF764I JES2 JES2 LPARMDD SXITLPRMLB PARMLIB READ FAILED - MEMBER
 HASJES2 NOT FOUND.
 IEF196I IEF764I JES2 JES2 LPARMDD SXITLPRMLB PARMLIB READ FAILED -
 IEF196I MEMBER HASJES2 NOT FOUND.
*£HASP450 OPEN FAILED FOR JES2 PARAMETER LIBRARY - MEMBER HASJES2
*0001 £HASP441 REPLY 'Y' TO CONTINUE INITIALIZATION OR 'N' TO TERMINATE

We do NOT have a HASJES2 member in the parmlib concatenation, but why is it
even looking for it?
Why is it looking for HASPPARM?

According to what I have read, because we've coded the initialisation parameter
"MEMBER=xxxxxx", JES should look for it's start up parameters (in this case
JES2PRSP) in the logical parmlib.

Our MSTJCLxx for the one-pack system looks like this: -

//MSTJCL00 JOB MSGLEVEL=(1,1),TIME=NOLIMIT
//         EXEC PGM=IEEMB860,DPRTY=(15,15)
//STCINRDR DD SYSOUT=(A,INTRDR)
//TSOINRDR DD SYSOUT=(A,INTRDR)
//IEFPDSI  DD DSN=SYS1.PROCLIB,DISP=SHR
//         DD DSN=SYS1.CPAC.PROCLIB,DISP=SHR
//         DD DSN=SYS1.IBM.PROCLIB,DISP=SHR
//SYSUADS  DD DSN=SYS1.UADS,DISP=SHR
//SYSLBC   DD DSN=SYS1.BRODCAST,DISP=SHR

This hasn't changed in a year.

If I do a D PARMLIB on the one-pack system, I get: -

PARMLIB DATA SETS SPECIFIED
AT IPL
ENTRY  FLAGS  VOLUME  DATA SET
  1      D    ZD1PAK  SYS1.PARMLIB
  2      S    ZD1PAK  SYS1.IBM.PARMLIB

All SYS1.xxx datasets are catalogued in the master catalog on the one-pack
system.

As I have access to the one-pack DASD from other systems, I added a HASPPARM
statement to the JES2 procedure (taking a back-up first).  The HASPPARM points
to SYS1.PARMLIB(JES2PRSP).  With this added, JES2 starts normally.

In the SYSLOG, for my failed start of JES, I can see the following: -

S JES2,SUB=MSTR,M=JES2PRSP,START=(COLD,FORMAT,NOREQ)
IEF196I         1 //JES2     JOB MSGLEVEL=1
IEF196I         2 //STARTING EXEC JES2,M=JES2PRSP,START=(COLD,FORMAT,
IEF196I NOREQ)
IEF196I  STMT NO. MESSAGE
IEF196I         2 IEFC001I PROCEDURE JES2 WAS EXPANDED USING SYSTEM
IEF196I LIBRARY SYS1.PROCLIB
IEF196I         3 XXJES2    PROC M=JES2PARM,
IEF196I           XX             START='WARM,NOREQ'
IEF196I         4 XXIEFPROC  EXEC PGM=HASJES20,
IEF196I           XX            PARM='&START,MEMBER=&M',
IEF196I           XX            DPRTY=(15,15),TIME=1440,PERFORM=9
IEF196I           IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - PGM=HASJES20,PARM='(COLD,
IEF196I FORMAT,NOREQ),MEMBER=JES2PRSP',DPRTY=(15,15),TIME=1440,
IEF196I           PERFORM=9
IEF196I         5 XXHASPLIST DD DDNAME=IEFRDER
IEF677I WARNING MESSAGE(S) FOR JOB JES2     ISSUED
IEF196I         5 IEF686I DDNAME REFERRED TO ON DDNAME KEYWORD IN PRIOR
IEF196I STEP WAS NOT RESOLVED
IEF695I START JES2     WITH JOBNAME JES2     IS ASSIGNED TO USER START1
IEF403I JES2 - STARTED - TIME=13.47.42
IEF196I IEF236I ALLOC. FOR JES2 JES2
IEF196I IEF237I DMY  ALLOCATED TO HASPLIST
IEC130I HASPPARM DD STATEMENT MISSING
IEF196I IEC130I HASPPARM DD STATEMENT MISSING
IEF196I IEF285I   SYS1.PARMLIB                                 KEPT
IEF196I IEF285I   VOL SER NOS= ZD1PAK.
IEF196I IEF285I   SYS1.IBM.PARMLIB                             KEPT
IEF196I IEF285I   VOL SER NOS= ZD1PAK.

So the parameters I enter on the start command are being picked up, and
substituted.

I should also say that I've restored a back-up of the one-pack system made on
6th July, and it has the same issue.

Does anyone have an idea as to what's happening here?

Thanks in advance.