On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 10:26:55 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote
(regarding porting git to z/OS):

>What would be the obstacles to building it in Enhanced ASCII mode?

For a tool like git that has to straddle character encoding worlds, enhanced
ASCII support (EAS) brings only limited value. We're likely to explicitly
convert data, and control tagging, for text moving into and out of the
repository, rather than relying on EAS to Do The Right Thing. Current plans
(subject to change, of course...) are to support checkout as ISO-8859-1, UTF-8
or IBM-1047 (or conceivably ANY encoding supported by iconv) and respect tags
on add/commit of new files.  As I said - it's a challenging problem. Git
currently ignores encoding altogether, with the exception of line endings (the
perennial CRLF/LF/CR/whatever problem...).

Given the complexity of the problem, I think IBM has done a fairly decent job
with EAS. Most of the existing C/C++ tool chain (most notably, of course, xlc)
do a pretty decent job of handling a mix of character encodings in its input
files, and the bulk of the POSIX system and library interfaces support ASCII.
See
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.bpxbd00/libfuncsupport.htm

-- Jerry