I presume your colleagues are using SDSF to peruse OPERLIB. Have they tried to FILTER for just the system of interest?

At 11:19 AM 8/19/2016, you wrote:
We run both SYSLOG and OPERLOG. We archive both in daily GDGs in the generating sysplex that eventually migrate. I personally use OPERLOG almost exclusively, but in practice, during 20 years of parallel sysplex, I have had to deal with very few cross-member problems. Some of my colleagues are annoyed by 'extraneous' messages from other sysplex members. So each to his/her own.

I concur with the time-frame advantages of OPERLOG, but we have occasionally had logger problems that break it. SYSLOG is a backup in those rare instances.

.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
626-302-7535 Office
robin...@sce.com

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jousma, David
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 5:12 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: OPERLOG vs SYSLOG

We do this for the most part. We do run IEAMDBLD to offload daily syslog to GDG for audit/diagnostic purposes. We do keep 1 days worth of syslog on spool however, because we have many users that use ROSCOE to view syslog. I don't believe it knows anything about OPERLOG. We also have a home grown program to sift through the daily GDG's a limit output based on system ID, date/time windows, etc.

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President david.jou...@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 MD RSCB2H p 616.653.8429 f 616.653.2717