On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 10:22:09PM -0400, Phil Smith III wrote:
> What the top-posting vs. bottom-posting folks don't seem to recognize is
> that both have their uses.

Maybe. But choosing just one option is very limiting, like claiming
that talking about oneself has its merits and talking about others has
its merits - where is the vast sea of other possibilities?

> In a business conversation, a thread may go thru 20 exchanges, and then
> someone new gets added. That person is going to be completely lost without
> the history to follow up on, and the existing respondents aren't going to
> appreciate trying to catch them up.

Interesting scenario. You probably are right with this one.

[...]
> So.let's not restart this war, eh? It'll never be solved anyway. But if
> you're going to bottom-post, you really do need to trim. Paging through
> multiple screens to read a one-line response is just irritating.

I do not want to (re)start any war but I feel an urge to share an
opinion, which is, I think a problem with top-bottom is more related
to introduction of poor mailing applications. I cannot remember when
in my life I had to "page down" to find one line response (on the
bottom, I presume) because when I want to go there, I press "End" on
my keyboard. It is that easy.

I could have written that poor MUAs lead to respondends being unable
to trim their emails to manageable size (do they even have keyboards,
nowadays?), then eventually complaining about poor experience with
email (but not so much about poor apps), then perhaps murmuring about
"mail going to be dead" (because, with such a poor experience, what
else could happen) and so on. But, life is short and if the rest of
the world wants to shoot itself in the knee, why not. First, it is
their knee. Then, they might find it pleasurable. And besides, someone
could have thought I wanted to start a flame, while I have better
things to do :-) .

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola