On 09/14/2016 05:09 PM, Bill Woodger wrote:
> Yes, "the rules of algebra" has lead to a minus zero... but it is still zero,
> the sign for zero has no significance in algebra.
>
> In two's-complement, there is no negative zero.
>
> In packed-decimal 'rithmetic, there is, as explained in the PoP. The sign of
> the result is according to the rules of algebra, even when the result is zero.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the rules of algebra" lead to minus
zero.  In algebra and mathematics "0" is "0", neither positive or
negative.   A signed zero is not a concept in algebra but purely an
artifact of the way we choose to represent the abstract concept of real
and natural numbers on a physical device -- namely, the choice of a
sign-magnitude representation, with one bit reserved for sign.  The sign
bit is meaningless mathematically for a zero magnitude value but must
still have some state in the physical representation for the number..
Some architectures may choose to allow such "-0" values to have special
meaning rather than ever allowing it to be used as a zero value in a
computation or be generated for a zero result.
    Joel C. Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org