From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Laubenheimer
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 12:16 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: k4t4949b (September 2016 refresh of the z/OS 2.2
manuals)

Previous releases (up to k4t4949a) would unzip using Windows Explorer/File
Manager, and did not require the user to install the 7-Zip utility, which is
not permitted in many corporate environments. Is there some reason that the
standard PKZIP format can no longer be used? The last release of the z/OS 1.13
manuals was much larger, and still did not require 7-Zip. I tested this myself;
the .zip file is only about 12 percent larger than the .7z file. In any event,
the download should use a suffix of .7z (and NOT .zip) if IBM is truly
delivering the file in 7-Zip format.