This is a pretty common sort of thing to do and it works for me <g>

Are you saying "When I ATTACHX IEFBR14 everything works as I expect but when I
ATTACHX IDCAMS I get the funny completion code"? That somehow seems unlikely.
From ATTACHX's point of view, IEFBR14 and IDCAMS are pretty much the same thing.

Not your situation, but IIRC, DETACH does in fact post the ECB if and only if
the subtask has not yet completed -- that is, DETACH "completes" the subtask.
IIRC.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Steve Thompson
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 4:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Question About ATTACHX and ECB

I'm doing some work and needed to do an ATTACHX with an ECB.

So for test purposes I'm attaching IDCAMS. It runs and gives CC=0.

Ok, in the main task, I've done the ATTACHX with the ECB and then went and did
a few instructions and then did a WAIT for the ECB.

CPU trace shows I don't get dispatch again until the POST is effected for the
ECB.

I've looked at the ECB and my understanding of the doc for ATTACHX is that it
gets posted with the CC from the sub task, or ABEND if it is that the program
ABENDed.

My ECB has, what appears to be, an RB address.

Now I did have it giving me back the zero (hey, ATTACH IEFBR14, it works).

But now with IDCAMS or an internal program (written to give S0C3 to test what
happens), I'm getting other than what is documented.