On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:08:25 -0700, Phil Smith wrote:

>2)     Is there a cleaner way to specify this than just adding
>RFPREFIX(whatever) when needed? I had hoped to be able to provide, say,
>RFPREFIX(&RFPREFIX) and then use a set symbol, but I know that won't work.

Why not?  Is it because the substitutions must be made both in
JCL statements and in SYSIN lines?  Would SYSIN SYMBOLS= be an
answer?  (But can you rely on all users having a suitably recent
z/OS?)

There are already instructions in the provided JCL that say to make some global
changes, so I'm thinking that I should include it with something clearly
invalid, maybe: RFPREFIX(!prefix!) and add it to the list of things to change,
with a note that if your data sets really are just VSH.whatever, to remove it
completely.

Or supply an Edit macro or a Tailoring script to automate the changes?
Overkill if only one member needs to be changed (and they get it right
on the first attempt); more valuable if multiple members need to be
changed.

A colleague once used a JCLLIB member for this purpose but that
merely regressed the burden for my unit testing -- I needed to
tailor the JCLLIB DSN in each JCL member.  (Would it work to
incorporate &SYSUID in the JCLLIB declaration?)

For private use, I wrap JCL in UNIX shell scripts.  That is unlikely
to fly with our customers.

>Just trying to make this as easy/painless as possible for people.
>
>Thanks in advance for any insights!

-- gil