BTW:

at the company where I am working at the moment,
we need to build "true" XLS files at the mainframe (no CSVs)
which are then transferred to a Windows network drive, so that
the clients (that is, Accounting people etc.) can fetch them from there.

The problem with mainframe generated CSVs is that ExCel will do
strange things when opening them; for example change numeric values to date values
etc., because there is no way to specify type information in CSV.

To build the XLS Files on the mainframe and to transfer them to Windows
using FTP, we need a text format protocol, which survives text mode FTP
and can be understood by ExCel.

What we found, and what works very fine for us, is SYLK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYmbolic_LinK_(SYLK)

So we built a library on the mainframe which generates SYLK files
from our mainframe applications and transfer them automatically
(night Batch) to the Windows network drives, for daily, weekly or
monthly reports. (The mainframe library is written in C, but that
isn't very important, IMO; it could well be COBOL or PL/1 or ASSEMBLER).

If the SYLK files have extension XLS on the network drives, ExCel
will simply open them by double-click, and the user will see no difference
from "normal" ExCel files.

Of course, reading XLS which comes out of real ExCel will be much harder,
if not impossible.

Kind regards

Bernd