Related, I think the VM community's wonderful Melinda Varian observed that the best software is developed by people (often individuals) who actually want to use it. On the VM side, that includes Mike Cowlishaw's REXX and John Hartmann's CMS Pipelines. I'm sure z/OS has many equivalent stellar tools/products/offerings.

And maybe related to the incestuous compiler compiling itself, from the 1980's OCO wars, the SHARE button, "We want to be able to fix it in the language in which it broke".

David Cole <dbc...@colesoft.com> noted:

In contrast, a compiler coded in its own language tends to be much
> better, user friendly in features, than a compiler coded in any other language.

Interesting observation.

--

Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.       g...@gabegold.com
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042           (703) 204-0433