John Dawes wrote:

>Could someone clear up what the command DS QD,413Z,VALIDATE actually do?  The
>doc says the following:

>VALIDATE : Uses status information acquired directly from a device to correct
>inconsistent extended function status information maintained in host processor
>storage. VALIDATE has no effect if the unit address has no physical device
>attached

>I am not sure what "to correct inconsistent extended function.." does.  Is it
>safe to use? Could you please help me understand IBM's explanation because it
>is not clear.

Since it is a 'DISPLAY' command, it is indeed safe to issue the command. What
are you seeing in the console/syslog?

It depends of course what is shown, then it should be obvious what next you
should be doing.

Just post the result if you can. If you can and device is shared, repeat the
display from another LPAR, just to be sure.

About IBM's explanation, I'm sorry, but I can't help without specific results
of your display command.

Oh, IBM's docs can sometimes be really that hard to read... ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht