Carriage control tapes rode on one free spinning wheel and one sprocket
wheel.  The free spinning wheel was adjustable and was used to apply
slight pressure to the tape.  They were at the upper right of the print
mechanism.  The wheels were 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.  The tapes were
punched in one of 12 "channels."  The tapes were glued at the ends to
provide a continuous oval.  Depending on the printer clutch setting the
1403 would print 6 or 8 lines per inch.  The minimum length was determined
by the need to wrap around both of the wheels and have some space between
the two wheels.

The punch for the tape produced a hole similar to a punch card, but
slightly shorter.  There would be a punch for the top of the form and any
places the form should be "skipped" to - start of the address line on an
invoice, date line, detail line, total line, etc.  Skipping was quicker
than spacing using line printing.  If the wrong carriage control tape was
installed and a channel to be skipped to was not there the printer would
go into a high speed skip and the form would fly through the printer.  You
had to be sure to use the right tape or the form would not be spaced
correctly.

Michael C. O'Byrne
Senior Software Analyst - Enterprise Server
Foot Locker Corporate Services
7800 W Brown Deer Rd, Milwaukee, WI 53223
(414) 357-4094