On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> [Default] On 8 Mar 2017 07:17:56 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
> ajn...@ufl.edu (Nims,Alva John  , Al) wrote:
>
> >My lousy $0.02 on this:
> >1. 71? Column 71 is the old "Continuation" column in JCL.
> >2. How would you code a 71 character DLM='-----71 Char----' when you
> already have to code "//name DD DATA,DLM='..." in the JCL, I HATE having to
> continue quoted strings, I never get it right!
>
> I think 72 is the continuation column because 73 - 80 are the sequence
> number columns.
>
> Clark Morris

​My take on all this is that JCL should have a way to be "free format" and
not restricted to FB/80 card images any more. I don't keep my JCL in PO or
PO-E library, I keep it in a UNIX file. I would love to be able to do a
SUBMIT where the JCL images are as long as I need them. It would really
help when I need something in the PATH= on a DD where the PATH= value is
real long, like
/usr/lpp/internet/server_root/HealthMarkets/UserAdmin/somefile.cnf (66
chars long).​

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown